Monday, March 19, 2007

Thank you!

Many thanks to all of you who have written to me on Meisha, our baby girl Rhodesian Ridgeback. She died within 5 days of being sick. Hum, food poisoning-not according to Iams. Well, she and Bubba, the big bad Rhodesian of the house, have been eating Iams Weight management dry food for little over 6 months. They used to eat Science Diet. Over the last 6 months Meisha has lost her appetite, but I just figured she was being finicky. She was a little high strung ( she was rescued from a family that beat her, when she was 1 !/2)She lost some of her fur last summer and the vet did not know what caused it. I have been doing research people...aflatoxocis. Causes liver disease, jaundice, vomiting and there was a problem with Iams and this before. I have tossed the Iams and have kept some to have tested. I do not want to be "compensated" for my loss, I want an apology and answers. Did Iams kill my sweet Meisha. Or did she really die in 5 days from a blocked gallbladder. Yes, Bubba is fine. Bubba could eat all of my knit socks and be fine. He eats everything and anything. I have no knit in days. I hope no one else has to go through what we did this past week. It is heartwretching enough to lose a pet, but this was just cruel!
Thanks for reading and your support.
Hugs back to all.
Ann

4 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Oh, Ann, I am SO SORRY to hear that you were one of the victims of this thing I've been reading about in the news. So, so sad. Those poor, poor babies!!! I am so glad I've been feeding Vincent home-cooked (and now raw) food for most of his life.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did your vet consider or has he/she seen Leptospirosis?

The bacteria causing leptospirosis are spread through the urine of infected animals (raccoons,
opossums, skunks and rodents), which can get into water or soil and can survive there for weeks to
months. Humans and animals can become infected through contact with this contaminated urine, water, or soil. The bacteria can enter the body through skin or mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth), especially if the skin is broken from a cut or scratch. Drinking contaminated water can also cause infection. Because of increased building and development into areas that were previously rural, pets may be exposed to displaced wildlife infected with leptospirosis.

The incubation period is usually 5 to 14 days, but can be as short as a few days or as long as 30 days
or more. The clinical signs of leptospirosis vary and are nonspecific. Sometimes pets do not have any symptoms.

Common clinical signs reported in dogs include fever, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, refusal
to eat, severe weakness and depression, stiffness, severe muscle pain, or infertility. Generally younger animals are more seriously affected than older animals. Dogs that spend little outdoors are still at risk of infection.

Veterinarians are urged to consider leptospirosis in
their differential diagnoses. Prompt diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics will increase the chanceof a good prognosis and more rapid and complete recovery. Aggressive supportive treatment may be required.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Ann. I hope you get the answers you deserve - or at least AN answer to what happened to your pup that will give you and your family some peace.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, The tears stated rolling as I read about your loss. Our dogs really are a part of us. We'lost 2 to cancer and I still miss each of them greatly.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home